Christmas lights are those lovely twinkly tree lights that we spend many hours wrapping around our Christmas tree. How do you program outdoor Christmas lights? can be a daunting task because it seems like there is only one way to hook them up. However, this is no longer the case as you can now control your Christmas lights with an Arduino.
Table of Contents
How do you program outdoor Christmas lights?
Most outdoor Christmas lights are controlled by a special plug that has a set of wires and a built-in timer. With these systems, the wires need to be properly connected and the timer needs to be set for night light operation. Often, it can be confusing to determine where the wires go. Look for a small diagram on the timer itself; the diagram should show where each wire goes. The diagram will usually be on the bottom or back of the timer. Once you have located the diagram, simply follow the arrows and connect the wires correctly.
Most timers have a setting that allows you to choose the time of day when they turn on and off. One set would be for a nightlight in a hallway, which you might want to turn on at 9:00 PM and off at 6:00 AM, while another set might be for a night light in a baby’s room, which you might want to turn on at 8:00 PM and off at 6:00 AM.
Some things to consider as you program your outside Christmas lights:
- There’s a difference between your lights and the show. The “lights” are what turn on and off, fade up and down, etc. The “show” is what those lights look like as they do it.
- Your lights should do something related to your theme. For instance, a light show that’s a series of bursts should be a burst of fireworks. Some light effects that would look good after a burst include a “sparkle” effect that slowly fades out or a shower that slowly fades back in.
- If you have a time delay between the lights turning off and the next turning on, the “show” could be a series of quick effects. For instance, you could have a quick “sparkle” effect turn on, followed by a quick “burst” effect, followed by a quick “sparkle” effect.
- If you have a long delay between the lights turning off and the next turning on, the “show” could be a long, slow effect. For instance, a “sparkle” effect that fades out could be followed by a “sparkle” effect that fades in.
- The amount of time between effects could be random, or it could be linked to the music (if you’re using one).
How do you control outdoor Christmas lights?
The most common method for controlling outdoor Christmas lights is with a switched outlet. A switched outlet requires a plug-in control device to operate. This device will require an electrical current to operate. A timer can also be used. A timer cannot be used with outdoor lights unless the timer is waterproof.
Often times you will have outdoor lights that will come on by themselves. This is actually a safety issue. If the power is still turned on in the house, this is a fire hazard. You can control outdoor Christmas lights with a special electronic device known as a light timer. A light timer turns the lights on and off on a set schedule. Light timers are available at local hardware stores. A light timer can also save electricity by turning the lights off when they are not needed.
Is there an app to control Christmas lights?
Yes, there are different apps for different operating systems. Some may cost money, others are free. When it comes to Christmas lighting, I think the most popular app to control Christmas lights is called Christmas Light Show by Avnero. This app is available for both Android and iOS. With this app, you can control thousands of lights in sync with music or voice commands. You can also create your own lights show by setting each light to a different schedule.
How can I control my Christmas lights with my phone?
The easiest way to control your Christmas lights is to use Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Plugs. By plugging your Christmas lights into Wemo Smart Plugs, you can turn your Christmas lights on or off from anywhere. Just download the free app, then you can turn the lights on or off from your phone. Wemo Smart Plug can be added to your Amazon Echo, Google Home, Nest, SmartThings, Wink, IFTTT, Stringify or connect with your home Wi-Fi.
Can I use any lights with orchestra of lights?
Yes, you can use any lights with orchestra of lights because we build in a lot of flexibility to make the lights work with almost anything you can put in your home. You can use any lights with our systems like iPhone, iPod, android, old cell phones, laptops, gaming systems, television, and much more!
You can also read related posts:
- Best Christmas lights to hang on the house
- Smart Christmas tree lights
- Why does only half a string of lights work
- Best mini led string lights battery operated
- Best App Controlled Christmas Tree Lights